Thursday, November 10, 2011

T ransformative V ision

Matt Berry knows the ladies.

Like most of my generation, I essentially live on the television and the internet. And since I don’t have cable while in Chicago, my television is converted to my computer.

I grew up on television and not the average “oh I was totes addicted as a kid”, I mean at least 80% of the lessons I’ve learned are from after school specials which would probably explain why I’m a politically-independent straight edge atheist. So really any type of culture I’ve saturated either than books and visual artwork comes from this medium. Yes, I will make some awkward obscure references to The Facts of Life or Veronica Mars on occasion, but not in a gross way where I am incapable of my own humor.

So other than everything in my mind vineyard coming from television, I’d like to specifically close in on a few of my fashion influences from saints of TV past (specifically the 90s so I don’t overload my brain) and present with many actors that weave in between; I mean Betty White is here and she ain’t leavin’. I can't get them all obviously and some I save for a later date for something else I'll figure out. Or I'll OD on hot chocolate and forget what year it is.

Some are obvious but they'll all be ones you love.

Ghost of Christmas TV Past:

Lady Bundys


My dad hates everything I will ever watch, but two central shows we share are our annual Twilight Zone marathons and Married With Children. He made sure this show educated my blossoming mind with sordid, curt wit and a general sense of pop culture references I am too young for (I mean, how many people my age are making Father Knows Best and Johnny Carson quotes?)

Aside from that “skill set”, Kelly is the slutty teen metal peroxide girl I dream to be. Well, just all the gothic crosses and leather jackets. I mean she made me want to get leather cowboy chaps for a minute. That’s pretty serious. I love all of her ensembles to the point of jealousy. You Bundy Bounce, girl.


But Peggy is the satire master. Katey Sagal had indeed been influenced by the unapproachable idealized perfect 50s housewife, so adaptng that bouffant hair and matching jewelry set and setting fire to it in the parking lot style was the perfect commentary for Mrs. Shoes Salesman. There’s some Wilma Flinstone, some Laura Petrie and a whole lot of disgruntled chain smoking.

We can see why they’re both still on TV.


30 Helens Agree



You better believe that's a sparkled ninja turtle as a bolo tie.


Kids In The Hall is the only modern male troupe that I think gave a respectful nod to classic theater where the men aren't in drag but are women. Though the costuming was rough around the edges in the beginning, as they got more funding their clothes became really awesome (and not just the ladies, you see). I mean Tammy had coffin toe heels!




As for the normal kids shows I watched:

Brain Drain


(Images via Lela London)

If you say you were never influenced by Clarissa Darling, I'm just going to go ahead and think you're a filthy liar. Or 40 years old. Come on, Clarissa knows it all.

The style, the format, the animation, the actors for this show were all so perfect they can't be altered. Why the rest of the show is not on DVD or Netflix I'll never know.


Back to School Ghoul

(Image via fanpop)

(Image via phlodsurboat)


Purple and pink eyeshadow will forever be in vogue, I have to wonder if Lydia listened to a lot of Siouxsie and the Banshees. Luckily Beetlejuice was one of those franchises where the cartoon and the movie were of equal importance.

Though I went through the miserable pre-teen up until late high school goth phase, Lydia Deetz was my first real taste of "the happy goth" and that sort of naturally dark elegance.


Honorable Mentions:

That 70s Show
The Wild Thornberrys
Aeon Flux
Flash Forward
The Babysitters Club
Upright Citizens Brigade
Strangers With Candy
Will & Grace
Lizzy McGuire
The Wonder Years
Roseanne
Freaks & Geeks
Doug
The Magic School Bus
3rd Rock From the Sun
Living Single
Daria
Absolutely Fabulous
My So-Called Life
Pepper Ann
X-Men: The Animated Series
All American Girl
Dr. Katz
The Adventures of Pete and Pete




Hologram of Present/Future:

Goth Fix(ate)



American Horror Story was another show Diane suckerpunched me into watching (and of course provided me with the screencaps). I've only just started so I am not fit to comment on anything other than it is beautiful and it didn't hurt.


The Ladies Who Punch


This woman can layer beige on taupe and make it Annie Hall fabulous. There is no wardrobe check for Elaine Stritch, it is wham, bam thank you ma'am where's my check. Granted 30 Rock is very close to being past tense, but it counts I figure. Ms. Stritch, won't you be my neighbor?



0118 999 881 999 119 7253


This moment of The IT Crowd sealed my love for Moss from the split in his fro (although that belonged to Richard Ayoade before anyway) and his proper recommendation for Roy's garment. Although the real dressing:

(Image via Binary Dojo)

Awwwwwwww yeeeeaaaahh. But you don't get the full magnetism without seeing all the comic/band/geek posters on the show.

Also never forget: Noel Fielding and goth at the same time. DONE.



Neon Trees

I admit when I saw the commercials for Switched At Birth I was nauseated by the awkward shock tactics of it. Now I am of course ridiculously addicted. And the clothes aren't off the hook generally but Bay has some cute shirts like this. Aaaand....

Sean Beardy as Emmett is so Tiger Beat adorable you can't remain a rational adult.



Honorable Mentions:

Community
Gossip Girl
Victorious
2 Broke Girls
Pretty Little Liars
Leverage
Misfits
Yo Gabba Gabba
New Girl
Skins
iCarly
Happy Endings
Firefly (Not current but jeez, I needed something)


These are a few of my favorite things.

1 comment: