My favorite is brunch because we all should love breakfast but don't wake up before noon on our free time. Some of my favorites in Chicago to make badly written tributes to are Tre Kronor and Longman & Eagle. I mean we all need to wake up to lattes, waffles and thick sliced bacon; it's in the constitution under illegal parking, guys.
But most of the time I stay home for brunch because I save money and effort of calling people up and getting dressed to leave my bed. Also it always seems reserved for Sundays which some of us want to do on a Monday. Here are some local Chicago favorites to nosh on:
Okay, technically Oberweis is a chain spawning through more than one state but it's centered around the Midwest so I will include it. They do all kind of dairy products, bacon, lemonade, it's a Midwestern summer dream (not to be confused with a Midsummer Night's Dream).
There is nothing more satisfying than pouring your milk out of a glass bottle, even though I often spill it all over the place, and other perks include it's rBGH (hormones pumped into cows) free as well as kosher.
Though Jim Oberweis is part of the anti-gay legislative crew, these types are unfortunately connected to all sectors and is unavoidable like say, many of your favorite slave labor clothing brands. So don't hate on me hater.
Image via the Chicago Gourmet!Milk + Honey Original Granola is like a prayer from my clogged arteries. Frankly, why isn't bacon a vegetable already? I mean it already has its own holiday.
So yes, I don't eat much of anything that contains the words "vitamins" or "nutritious" or "not die" in them. But granola is the way to eat something relatively good for me and I don't have to throw a tantrum on the floor adult freestyle. It comes in a bunch of flavors like chocolate or berries or even some Rick Bayless flavor (it's his glasses and goatee on every bag) but I prefer original.
Chicago Honey Co-op (but linking the coveted 1 lb container) fresh honey brightens my overall cranky mornings where I have to wake up at a god awful reasonable hour. I make my tea, fill it with raw sugar and honey much like camouflaging the taste of fish with everything else in the universe. I generally assumed there would be no difference because I'm an idiot and still don't get gourmet coffee or Nirvana. It is light and offers a more "natural" taste.
They also do honey mustard, bath stuff and candles but like many people I live alone and have electricity so thus my only need is fancy honey. I've already used up my 6 oz jar which makes me cry.
Unfortunately for the world, with all the supermarket deli counters (which I do frequent because they are good), the art of butchering is becoming a dying business outside of restaurants and food enthusiast circles.
I admittedly can't afford a butcher all the time, but when I need a meat mouth orgy (I said that while knowing the repercussions) it is all Olympic Meats. Slab bacon. I mean they have other delicacies, but that is the only advert I need Ron Swanson style.
Now if only Chicago would get down with some bagels! I mean come on guys, it's not just for New Yorkers. It should not be hard to get down with bready goodness. Otherwise I am well taken care of here for breakfast, brunch, breakfast for dinner and dessert.

yum! This post looks delicious ;p
ReplyDeleteXox <3 An
Only 3 days left to enter my giveaway for a pair of Buffalo Skinny Jeans :)
Speaking of breakfast, well FOOD..HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
ReplyDeletexx.M
www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com