Sunday, October 23, 2011

Don't Dream lt's Over Pt. 1: Prescription Sunglasses

I apologize for the image bombardment starting now. Or more accurately the text explosion in my tiny cute typeface.

I feel like I missed this summer due to school and keep dressing like I'm in denial of winter, which is ridiculous because colder months are my favorite time of year (like a senior citizen in Arizona, I am a cranky cat in heat especially due to my respiratory issues).

So this is my final yammering on it, a part 1 of a 3 part entry series on summer accessories that can be translated year round. It's like PBS but with stuff that doesn't matter! I'm starting with sunglasses because we can never escape the sun completely and young people still wear these in discotheques right? RIGHT? Or upper class suburban grandmothers shopping at Macy's.

There are the dependable classics from Prada or Marni, or as everyone has been craving what seems like forever the Alexander Wang x Linda Farrow cat eyes. But like most normal humans who are still paying their college loans, we can’t afford them unless we didn’t eat or found a way to control our eBay shopping addictions. Here is my sacrificial offerings for style, ocular vision and protection from the sun especially if you live in the city where the sun reflects off of every Chili's.

Fresh Frames - The first set of choices is for those who prefer a frame that withstands trendiness but can remain current by employing eye-catching color. Though one wants to be influenced by past designs, sometimes they don't fit or satiate contemporary tastes. I've always been a fan of Cinzia glasses that have approachable choices but also kick ass snazzy ones like these:

These Year of the Cat comes in a 1960s Pakistan green or this Brink pink maintain the classic vibe of cat eyes with colors and more of a bolder shape that make them retro as opposed to dated.

The Abracadabra has a late 1970s shape with 80s influence that I can only describe like a mom dragging her tween daughter to shop at Kohl's as "pizazz". They also come in green & black if you need something less sexy magician in Malibu.

For those of you (voices in my head) saying "Screw you, I like Ray Bans lady, I just need more than one solid color", the Detective from Cinzia in blue & brown knocks my freakin' socks off. The only detectives I see wearing these are on Pretty Little Liars.



If you decide to join a tribute band to The Donnas portraying their former awesome selves as The Electrocutes in Drive Me Crazy, the Venus Fly Trap comes in 2 scintillating girly colors so you always look like you're in a dystopic postpunk riot girl band.




Antiquarian Frames - Now some people prefer frames with the possibility that nobody else will been seen wearing, those damn elitists, just kidding! (Maybe). But it's more about connecting to something that isn't made anymore and and feels like some archeology you uncovered. For me, I've wanted to wear glasses since I was 8 years old, I tried to wear a pair of prescription glasses in 5th grade and I felt like Zenon after she saved everyone and got Protazoa to play at the space station.

I get the majority of my frames at Fabulous Fanny's in the East Village, where the people are super nice about adjusting your frames if they're a little loose or tight and everything is organized into library catalog filing cabinets by style. The selection ranges vintage designer or newer replicas (which are super helpful if you've got a big head like me).
Luckily they have an online website for those not in a New York adjacent residence:


These Henri Guillet lizard trim sunglasses are so glamorous and understated all at once that they can really fit any type of person. (Also come in a wintry gray and an impetuous red).



I love the Keith Haring meets Miami Art Deco vibe of these Pathway specs which can double as sunglasses very easily. Also 50 bucks for frames is hard to come by. (Comes in electric orange as well).


Etsy should never be underestimated, Vintage50sEyewear sells off the chain frames that I'd own in a heartbeat like these two:

HOLY SHIT. These wild glasses fucking kill my brain in how awesomely 90s arts and crafts teacher these are they're so amazing. I mean they have hands at the end of them. I would change the shape of my head for these.



As you might've noticed a pattern, I have a wire frame bias. But these delicate ones with sky blue lines with the hint of light pink are really lovely. With green lenses they'd be perfection.

So part one over. Class dismissed. I type a lot.



Honorable sexy mentions:

http://www.warbyparker.com/womens-sunglasses-jasper-marine-slate

http://www.vintageeyeglassesonline.com/emanuellekhanhsunglassblackandwhite8080-569.aspx

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74948965/vintage-50s-60s-tura-cat-eye-eyeglasses

No comments:

Post a Comment